Tuesday 18 June 2013

Starvation is not a Natural Disaster

I don't know about you, but I must admit that when growing up, I put the issue of hunger aside as an inevitability and just 'part of life'. This MASSIVE misconception I think is still held by some (I worry about how many) well-educated adults today. 

This resignation to global hunger is something I will do all I can do remove in this post. As the amazing, and inspiring IF Campaign points out, there IS enough food for everybody. This means that it is simply how many tables this food reaches, not an issue of global scarcity.

I believe that countries with large economies do not have to enforce their policies and views on the developing world; but they DO have a responsibility to ensure every fellow human has a basic level of welfare. When there are people, who are every bit as valuable as you and me, without enough food to survive - not even being able to feed their children - something has to be done. This is not a lost cause; countries can and should give all they can to prevent this man-made disaster.

Many charities such as UNICEF do brilliant work in pushing the government into doing more (particularly keeping to the 0.7% of GNI going to Overseas Aid - GNI very roughly is the income that the country receives as a whole). UNICEF is a charity taking on global issues with surprising success and I urge you all to support them. 

The first hurdle is getting countries across the world to commit to reaching out to those swamped in poverty. The second hurdle is to make sure that this Aid, in the form of money, is spent effectively. By this, I mean it is important that the aid reaches its intended target, NOT corrupt governments.

Thanks for reading :)

JP



www.fashionmadesimple.co.uk - 3 pairs of tights for £1.99



No comments:

Post a Comment