Wednesday 12 June 2013

Fashion Conscious with a Conscience?

After a recent tweet asking me about how my clothes that I sell are produced, I got thinking about whether going Fairtrade is a fashion killer. Inevitably it will be more expensive as the companies are paying the workers more, but is it a deal breaker?

I went on a search (One where I did not have to get off my seat due to the wonders of the Internet!) for a fashionable yet ethical outfit ...here's what I found!

MARKS AND SPENCER

These comfy and practical side seam leggings are a wardrobe staple.


Despite its reputation as a shop for the older generations I reckon us youngsters could find the odd gem there...and when you do, you'll know that none of your friends will have it! 

M&S say that they are committed to producing ethically. Although not all their range is Fairtrade, the 'Plan A' collection (the brand of their ethical thinking) is fairly impressive so I would urge you guys to check it out!


ASOS


100% recycled rubber is re-moulded into an off-beat edit of peep-toe heels and flats all with signature candy scents.

Cambridge Satchel // £115.00
Does what it says on the tin! Made in Cambridge...one of England's finest!

This necklace was hand made in their own workshops by the designers themselves!

ASOS has a section called the Green Room, which again, you should all check out! There are 495 different items in this section. It is reassuring to know that even huge companies like ASOS are becoming sensitive to the world they live in and adapt accordingly. Obviously we are miles away from their entire range becoming part of the Green Room, but for now, there seems to be progress.


PEOPLE TREE

Recycled cotton sari fabric and brass stud earrings. Each pair is unique in colour and print.

Drop sleeve casual jersey tee.

People Tree is the role model company that all others should strive to match. Every item is made with other people's welfare in mind. 

'For more than twenty years, People Tree has worked with Fair Trade farmers and artisans in the developing world to create a new type of fashion business.' (the People Tree website)


Isn't that inspiring?! It is a challenge to all of us to make sure we do not harm those in poverty. I am sorry though for my inability to give an impartial review of People Tree as I LOVE them...my bad! 

Fairtrade enables people in developing countries to put food on the table and send their children to school for an average of 5 years longer! I think that it is really important for all shops to know and advertise where their clothes are made and it is something I am working on massively with www.fashionmadesimple.co.uk. You do not want to be supporting an industry which in some cases doesn't support women and exploits poverty.


QUESTION TIME

I would love to hear your opinions...what do you think? Would you pay more money for Fairtrade in everyday life or do you think it's unrealistic to expect that?

Much FMS love,
JP


No comments:

Post a Comment